Labels

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Poem: What is Love?

Yet another poem I entered into the free category of the Whitman poetry contest. It's played off of what Gregg Speck said at the youth retreat about love being sacrifice. I think love is more than just sacrifice, but I think it is true that love is definitely a good part sacrifice, or at least shown by sacrifice. As I just read through this again I realize that the seventeenth line can be misunderstood. I did not intend for it to come across that I was saying to give up, as in accepting defeat, is love. What I mean is that giving up something, for somebody else, is love.

What is Love?

What is love?

Is love butterflies in my stomach?
Is love wanting to be in someone's presence?

Is love shown
By the pain I feel
When someone chooses to spend time
With another, and not me?

Is love the joy someone brings me?
Is love appreciation for a person?

Is love the desire
To touch someone?

No

I do not think
Love is any of these things

Love is not want
Love is not this happy feeling

Love is giving up

Love is giving with all your heart

If you desire something
But your friend does too
Make a gift of it

That is love

Love is sacrifice

No comments:

Post a Comment